Thursday, May 24, 2012

Slow Cooker Black Beans

Soak 3 cups dried black beans.  I let them soak for 3 days- 2 on the countertop and 1 in the fridge.
Rinse and toss in the crock pot.

Add 4-5 cups of chicken/veggie broth or water.
4 bay leaves
2 tsp. cumin
1-2 tsp. ground cayenne
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. tumeric
5-6 cloves of garlic, diced
1/2 white or yellow onion
2 carrots- I used the micrograter.
2 ribs of celery- diced small

Cook for 8-10 hours on low.

At this point, I put the crockpot in the fridge and let it cool off overnight.  The next morning I divided the batch into smaller portions and froze a lot of it to use later.  I was able to get 5 servings of 16 ounces each.    (A can of black beans is 15 ounces and can cost .89 cents-1.29 for organic.)

This recipe cost me approximately $1.50 to make so I was able to save about 6 dollars by making them myself.  I like the piece of mind of knowing what all of the ingredients were and there aren't any extra chemicals added.  Most of the ingredients were organic which makes even more savings.

Add your favorite toppings to serve:   fresh cilantro, sour cream, shredded cheese, etc.

YUMMY.

No comments:

Post a Comment