Monday, May 14, 2012

You can't out-exercise a bad diet!

I ate so much food on Mother's Day and I didn't even start eating until 3pm.  By that point I was STARVING and ate way too much at one time.  By the end of the evening I felt disgusting which made me start thinking about my eating habits.  I workout 5-6 days a week for at least an hour, but I still can't get rid of my belly.  I get bloated when I eat certain foods but they are so good that I don't have the discipline to stop eating them.  I've decided today that I am going to take better care to watch what I put into my body.  Of course, I am not going to go crazy and restrict things, but I splurge on things more than I should.  (Starbucks!)  Time to just say no to my cravings!!    

Tips I need to remember:

  • Eat 4-6 small meals per day
  • Snack on bananas, non fat yogurt, nuts and seeds 
  • Cut down on portion size – a fist full is enough
  • Choose lean proteins – tuna, salmon, egg whites, lean beef, turkey breast, ground turkey
  • Increase water drinking and stick to non caffeinated beverages – an average person adds an extra 500-800 calories per day drinking soda
  • Choose healthy fats – extra virgin olive oil
  • Eat high fiber carbs – corn tortillas, oatmeal, whole wheat pasta, whole grain bread
  • Cut back on alcohol intake
  • Don’t think you have to clean your plate 
  • Track daily calories 

No comments:

Post a Comment